[emacs-wiki-discuss] Quick tips for people with short attention spans

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Quick tips for people with short attention spans
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 17:10:35 +0900

Hello, everyone!

Here are a few quick tips for people with short attention spans:

"What am I supposed to be working on?"

  If you have planner-timeclock.el loaded, then C-c TAB on a task will
  clock in and mark the task as "in progress". Steal my
  sacha/planner-what-am-i-supposed-to-be-doing from
  http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/planner-config.el and bind
  it to a convenient shortcut key. (I have it bound to F9 F9, but
  that's just me.) Then you can call it to print the current task in
  the minibuffer, use C-u to jump to the task to complete or suspend
  it,

Saving window configuration to register

  If you find yourself changing your window configuration often and
  then spending some time reopening files and adjusting their layout,
  save your window configuration to a register so that you can restore
  it easily. Open the stuff you need for work, arrange it neatly, then
  use C-x r w (window-configuration-to-register) to save it. You can
  then jump back to that configuration with C-x r j <register>.

I should really be helping you focus on your work instead of sharing
tips on how to minimize being distracted, but we all work with what we
have... <laugh>

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed