[emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki 2.67 released

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] emacs-wiki 2.67 released
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:45:13 -0500

I've released emacs-wiki 2.67 today.  Tarball:
http://www.mwolson.org/static/dist/emacs-wiki/emacs-wiki-2.67.tar.gz.
It corresponds to address@hidden/emacs-wiki--main--1.0--patch-30.

Executive summary of changes:

 - Various fixes were made so that international text is not mangled.

 - The wrong level of header was being used.

 - The default DOCTYPE is now XHTML 1.0, since XHTML 1.1 is not
   ideally treated by most browsers.

 - New file: emacs-wiki-srctag.el.  This file allows for more types of
   programming languages to be colorized on wiki pages.

 - Support inlined images on XEmacs.

 - Don't mangle all-digit anchors.

 - Improve link recognition.  This could fix quite a few errors that
   were reported to this list.

 - It is easier to define lists of tuples are used to define a menu.
   Take a look at the documentation of
   `emacs-wiki-menu-make-from-list' for more information.

 - emacs-wiki-journal.el and emacs-wiki-bloxsom.el have been moved to
   their own project.  An announcement to that effect was made on the
   list.

 - Extended character class regexps like "[:space:]" are now only used
   (by default) on Emacs 21.3.50 or higher so that obscure errors are
   avoided.

 - <form> tags can now be directly embedded in wiki documents.

 - <pre> is used instead of <p> when publishing verse tags in order to
   be compatible with more web browsers (text-based ones in
   particular).  See the "pre.verse" definition in
   `examples/default.css' for CSS settings that make this work for me.

 - Link interpretation should work better than before when using a
   minor mode like `outline-minor-mode' in conjunction with
   emacs-wiki.

 - It is now possible to use outline-mode style heading colors for
   emacs-wiki headings.  To make use of this, customize the value of
   `emacs-wiki-autogen-headings' to 'outline.

The following people made contributions of some sort to emacs-wiki in
this release.

 - Anselm Levskaya
 - Charles Hachten
 - Jim Ottaway
 - Joakim Verona
 - Lan Yufeng
 - Matt Hodges
 - Sacha Chua
 - Sun Jiyang
 - Vadim Nasardinov
 - Xiaodong Xu
 - Yamagata Yoriyuki
 - Yu Li

I want to emphasize how grateful I am for the general helpfulness and
patience of those on this list.

*Future plans*

 - Add Markus Hoenicka's backlink patch.

 - Decide what level of support to give to different variants of
   (X)HTML.  The only thing left to change (to the best of my
   knowledge) is the underline tag.

 - Improve documentation.  This really needs to be done.
   Contributions are welcome :^) .

 - Work on getting a Muse release ready.  I need to work on its
   documentation, in particular.  If you're following the Arch
   development version of Muse, expect a very sloppy initial manual in
   a few days.

 - Begin some sort of emacs-wiki-in-terms-of-Muse branch that attempts
   to implement emacs-wiki in terms of Muse.  I should do either that
   or just try to implement a Wiki mode for Muse, or maybe both at
   once, and see which gets farther along.  <sigh />I wonder how many
   releases have mentioned doing this.

*How can you help if you are a developer?*

I've received a few questions to this effect.  So here are a few
suggestions off the top of my head.

 - One thing that would be cool is if people made their own branches
   of emacs-wiki with Arch.  Then whenever they fix something, all
   that they have to do is tell me the name and location of their
   branch, as well as which patches to pull.  If you don't know how to
   do this with Arch and would like to learn, feel free to email me.
   I'm getting to the point where I understand most of the details of
   branches and merges.

 - Documentation fixes would be wonderful.  If you come across
   something that is not mentioned in the manual, feel free to add a
   relevant section.  I am still in the slow process of getting
   acquainted with TexInfo.

 - I should implement sub-list functionality sometime in the future,
   but this really isn't a high priority for me.  If you decide to
   implement something like this, please use the number of spaces in
   front of "-" as an indicator of the list level instead of using
   some other type of markup.

 - Take a look at http://www.mwolson.org/plans/EmacsWikiPlans.html.
   If something is listed there, I'm probably having trouble getting
   motivated to do it :^) .

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net -- IRC: mwolson on freenode.net: #muse, #pulug