Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner.el Newbie Question

From: Vadim Nasardinov
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner.el Newbie Question
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:07:30 -0500

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 12:42, Marcus Vorwaller wrote:
> 1. where the .emacs file that is mentioned in the README is located
> or should be created on OS X if I am using the Emacs build from
> Mindlube and

Although I've never used OS X, I hope the following might be
applicable.

You say you can start Emacs just fine.  If so, you should be able to
type "M-x ielm". This gives you a new buffer that looks like so

|*** Welcome to IELM ***  Type (describe-mode) for help.
|ELISP>

You can type the following at the prompt:

|ELISP> (expand-file-name "~/.emacs")
|"/home/vadim/.emacs"

This should, in theory, give you the path to your .emacs file.  You
can also visit this file by doing "C-x C-f" followed by "~/.emacs"
(without the quotes).

> 2. which folder to put the planner.el (and other files included with
> the sacha-dev.tar.gz archive.

Anywhere on the load-path.  To see what your current load-path looks
like, type in the following at the IELM prompt:

|ELISP> load-path
| [.... mine is too long to show ....]

If none of the current locations suit you, you can create your own and
add it to the load-path by adding appropriate elisp incantations to
your ~/.emacs file.  For details, see

   http://www.google.com/search?q=%22load-path%22