Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] How to BEGIN WITH GnuEmacs in Windows?

From: clair ching
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] How to BEGIN WITH GnuEmacs in Windows?
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:56:35 +0800

This has details on installing Emacs on Windows:) Very helpful.

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html#install

To quote it:
Where do I put my .emacs, (or _emacs), file?
Your startup file can be named either _emacs or .emacs, and should be
placed in your "home" directory. If you have both files in your home
directory, Emacs will load the .emacs file and ignore _emacs.

Your home directory is where the HOME configuration variable tells
Emacs it is. As with the other Emacs configuration variables, HOME can
be set in a number of ways:

Environment variable: Emacs will always first check to see if you have
an environment variable named HOME set and use that value as your home
directory. Under Windows 95, you can set the HOME environment variable
in your autoexec.bat file (you will need to reboot); under NT, you can
set the HOME environment variable in the System panel of the Control
Panel. (Note that if you set HOME as an environment variable in the
System panel it will only take effect in new processes created after
you've closed the System panel; if it still does not appear to be
working, then you might try rebooting.)
Registry: If Emacs doesn't find an environment variable named HOME, it
will check the registry for a value named HOME and use that value as
your home directory. Emacs first checks the key
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\SOFTWARE\\GNU\\Emacs", and then the key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\GNU\\Emacs" (although the use of the
latter key is discouraged since HOME should be set on a per-user
basis, not on a per-machine basis). Note that the value of HOME is not
set by the addpm.exe program that initializes the registry with the
other Emacs configuration variables.
If Emacs cannot find HOME set in any of the above locations, it will
assume your HOME directory is "C:/".

The directory specified by HOME is also the directory substituted for
tildes (~) in file names used in Emacs (so, by definition, you can
always load your startup file in Emacs by doing C-x C-f "~/.emacs").

Troubleshooting: If you've set HOME to a directory using one of the
above methods, and Emacs still doesn't load your startup file, the
first thing you should do is check to see what Emacs thinks HOME is
set to. You can do this by evaluating the following expression in the
*scratch* buffer using C-x C-e:

(insert (getenv "HOME"))
Look carefully at what is printed and make sure the value is valid.
For example, if the value has trailing whitespace, Emacs won't be able
to find the directory. Also, be sure that the value isn't a relative
drive letter (e.g., "d:" without a backslash); if it is, then HOME is
going to be whatever the current directory on that drive is, which is
likely not what you want to happen.

Hope this helps=)