Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: bug report: emacs-wiki.el -- recognizing ex

From: Earl Kent
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: bug report: emacs-wiki.el -- recognizing extended links
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:30:34 -0800 (PST)

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:22:42 -0500, Michael Olson
> wrote:
> > Could you tell me why you need to have links with
> > spaces in them?
> > What is that supposed to link to?  If I can
> > understand why you need
> > that functionality, I'll put it back in.
>
> I'm not the original poster, but I'll weigh in
> anyway, since this has
> been a long-time pet peeve of mine with almost every
> wiki I've ever
> seen.
>
> Personally, I want links with spaces because I would
> like to refer "some
> relevant information" using the norms of written
> English which separates
> words with spaces. I'm loath to refer to
> "SomeRelevantInformation" which
> is an illegible aberration of English in my opinion.
>
> If something underneath (say a URL or a buffer
> name), would prefer not
> to have a space in it, then that's an implementation
> detail that I do
> not want to leak up into my text. I also like clean
> looking URLs, so I
> would hope the mapping would be to something like
> "some_relevant_information" as opposed to
> "some%20relevant%20information" or what have you.

My need is similar.  I only use planner in "PIM" mode;
I don't publish to HTML.  Any given project I create
might have several relevant documents and I point to
them using the [[...]] notation. The names of some of
the documents are not HTML ready, and I have not taken
the time to go through them and remove spaces.  The
[[...]] notation worked as a great way to create
hyper-links for all the documents for a given project.

It would seem that from emacs-wiki's point of view, I
was abusing the notation. The implication being that
anything in the [[...]] might not be recognizable as a
wiki name, but must still be a valid HTML file name.
That seems reasonable, although does imposes an extra
restriction on those of us that don't publish to HTML
and perhaps makes things confusing for the user.