[emacs-wiki-discuss] Feature request

From: Sebastian Blatt
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Feature request
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:01:23 -0700

Hi all,

I use Emacs for almost everything but have only recently begun using
planner as I had my home-brewed task system already in place. I have
been using a modified version of GTD to do my planning. Let me outline
my model and motivate why I'd like to have a "new" feature. Please
point me in the right direction if that functionality already exists
within planner ;-)

My plan pages are as follows, all of these contain mainly tasks plus
some notes:

* [Agenda]: broad subjects, things I tend to think about, timescale >1
  month, this page spawns tasks on [Projects] and calendared tasks

* [Project]: things that require several tasks to complete,

* Several task pages, split according to associated locations like
  [Home], [Work], etc.

* Day pages: tasks that have to be done at a specific point in time

I'd like to do my planning like this:

* I am looking at the [Project] plan page, it contains a task of the
  form: "#A1  _ LearningPlanner"
* I hit RET on the [LearningPlanner] link and enter that page. Here I
  have a detailed description of what I want to do.
* I want to create a new task "#A1  _ Read Planner Newsgroup" on one
  of the task pages, say [Home].
* I call `planner-create-task-from-buffer'
* I answer `nil' to the second prompt, as I don't want to do it on a
  specific date, but when I have time.
* I want the task to appear on the [Home] task page, so I answer Home
  to the third question.
* Planner creates a task "#A1   Read Planner Newsgroup:
  LearningPlanner" on the [Home] page, great!

Up to now everything's like I want it to be, planner does the job
exactly like I want it to. (Thanks to all the developers, BTW)

I'd like to have the task appear (with a link to [Home]) on the
[LearningPlanner] page as well, as that would help me keep an overview
of what has been done on a certain project. This functionality is
already present in planner, but only between plan and day pages. My
feature request would be to allow this synchronization between plan
and plan pages as well.

Can this be done easily or is it already implemented and am I just
missing something?

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian