Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: emacs-wiki-discuss Digest, Vol 12, Issue 17

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: emacs-wiki-discuss Digest, Vol 12, Issue 17
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 15:38:11 -0500

Jody Klymak <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Raymond,
>
> "Raymond Zeitler" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 at 08:30:17 -0800, Jody wrote:

[...]

> I limit myself to a few plan pages for miscellany that comes up all
> the time.  i.e. "ComputerStuff" pretty well covers all computer
> things I need to look up.  I could, of course, have EmacsStuff,
> LatexStuff, MatlabStuff, MacStuff, WindowsStuff, CoolUtilities, etc
> etc, but then I would not know where to find anything.  Is
> ComputerStuff really long?  Sure, but if I am looking for the short
> guide to latex "C-s lshort" gets me there in few keystrokes.
>
> Anyways, thats just how I work.  A few (maybe twelve) plan pages, all
> of which are somewhat long.  But now I only have seventeen places to
> assign items.  In fact here they are: BooktsToGet, CoastLog (inactive
> work), ComputerStuff, CookingPlans, DailyThoughts, FlipLog (work),
> GiftIdeas, HealthNotes, HomeLog (work, believe it or not), KnightInlet
> (work), MeetingsLog (work), MusicToGet, ProposalsLog (work),
> ReadingNotes (work), RevelleLog (work), RevelleProcessing (work).
> Thats about all my little brain can handle.  There are, of course, a
> few others, but they never get used.
>
> I've been thinking about making project pages for parts of my
> projects, but it hasn't jelled in my head yet how to do this sensibly

[...]

I have found my project pages getting pretty overloaded. My current
solution has been to tack a date onto the end of the name. I have a
master page for the project, then pages per month for the project. Any
new tasks I create go onto the month page. So, I have project pages
"delicious", "delicious200411", "delicious200412", etc. Then on
"delicious", I try to every now and then add links to all of the
monthly pages [[delicious200411]] etc, though that is not really that
important to do. And on the monthly pages, I do the reverse,
[[delicious]] for each, which is slightly more important to do. The
dates are just based on when I create the task; they don't have
anything to do with when the task needs to be completed or anything
like that.

I don't know if I even need the "master pages". Those exist primarily
because I did not start with the dates from the very beginning. I
suppose I have an idea that I assign the most important notes to that
page or something, but I'm not sure I really follow through with that.

I might not like this system if I were publishing my pages. But I'm
not.

Nothing gets lost this way, as tab completion based on the project
name still finds all the pages that need to be checked. I suppose
things could get lost eventually. But for right now, it's working out
pretty well as a way for me to keep from having gargantuan plan pages,
while not forcing me to micro-organize the projects more than I want
to.

--
[= John Sullivan       =]
[= address@hidden =]