[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie

From: Jody Klymak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner-Newbie
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:30:17 -0800

Hello Gus,

Angus Lees <address@hidden> writes:

> "less features" ;)
>
> I *really* like the simplicity and flexibility of a wiki with some
> simple helper routines to manipulate lines that match a certain
> pattern.  I'm worried all these exotic reports, task databases, task
> hierarchies, etc will make people think planner-el is more than it
> is -- and that development will take planner further away from "just
> being a wiki".

I'm with you to some extent.  However, Sacha has done a great job of
not getting things too entwined.  Everything that people have added
seems to have been done on top of the original functionality.  The
folks who want permission control, report generation, etc, seem to
have been able to do so without impacting my concept of planner.

To me, there is some joy to having a limited system.  The system
constrains you to think in a certain way, and that means you have to
put less effort into organizing your thoughts.  A lot of people here
seem to find associating a task with one category restrictive.  From a
theoretical point of view, I agree; many of my tasks belong in a few
categories.  However, I wonder if there is any *practical* use to
assigning the task to a few categories, other than making me think
harder when I assign a task?  Will the task get done faster?  Will I
remember it more easily?  For hierarchal tasks, which I do have on
occasion, I simply make a link to a note that has the list of
subtasks.  I don't think I would want the subtasks cluttering up the
day page.

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://opg1.ucsd.edu/~jklymak/