[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner problems...

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner problems...
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:20:40 +0900

David O'Toole <address@hidden> writes:

> For some reason I can't post this to the list. Can you forward it for

It made it to the list, according to Gmane...

> in planner for doing such a great job. I organize all my work with
> planner and have done so since 2004.03.22 or thereabouts. My planner
> wiki is now organized around my job description, so I can track tasks

Hey, that's a cool idea... <muses>

> PDF through Firefox. I've even done a bit of custom lisp and would
> love to do more, possibly contributing pieces if I do anything cool
> enough.

We'd love to hear about your tweaks, even the ones you consider uncool! =)
I'm particularly interested in how people personalize their planners,
writing support for individual quirks... =)

> 1. When I turn off font-locking with C-c C-l, only the links and
>    headings "* Diary" "* Tasks" go back to normal text. Everything
>    else (red/green/blue task priority colors, task ID face) stays
>    font-locked.

Oh, this is because those use overlays. The following Lisp snippet
fixes that, I think.

(defadvice emacs-wiki-unhighlight-region (after planner activate)
  "Get rid of overlays."
  (planner-zap-overlays begin end))

If that works for you too, I'll put it into stable.

> 2. Font locking looks fine when just turned on---however, it seems
>    very slow and pauses emacs often for several seconds when editing
>    text in a large block of tasks---for each character typed. I often

Hmm. What's font-lock-support-mode?

> 3. Font locking falls apart sometimes after saving. Now the Headings
>    and links stay ON and everything else is off (the reverse of #1.)
>    Also, the task mark _X>oCP reappears when it should be hidden.

Yikes. This sounds like some kind of emacs-wiki issue. Mike! Help!

> 4. When saving a planner page, I get a lot more "args out of range ###
>    ###" messages and duplicate tasks than normal. I get this even with my
> good copy of planner, but there are definitely more with the recent
> tarball. This doesn't seem to affect emacs-wiki pages without tasks on
> them.

That's odd. This is my fault, but I've never run into the problem
before... Hmm. Could you send me an offending page?

> 5. Completely unable to publish with C-c C-p or C-u C-c C-p. It always
>    fails with emacs-wiki-publish-files: Wrong type argument: stringp,
>    ("/home/dto/Plans/2004.11.29"). That's a date in the future but it
>    is a valid plan page file with an appointment listed in its diary
>    section.

There was some strangeness involving cons cells and I might've had
versions in my directory. I updated to Michael Olson's latest and
regenerated the tar.gz s. Could you please check them again?

> I get the following lines in the *Messages* buffer (is there a way to
> keep more of these? I can't scroll back that far....)

Peek into emacs-wiki-refresh-file-alist and comment out the call to
;;                    (message "%s" (car files))

So sorry!

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed