[emacs-wiki-discuss] remember from clipboard

From: Kai von Fintel
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] remember from clipboard
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:58:38 -0400

I am working on an OS X system with CVS emacs and planner mode. I
would like to figure out a way to send some clippings from my web
browser or my mail program to remember/planner in emacs. I know that
emacs can access the OS X system clipboard because when I copy some
text in my browser to the system clipboard, switch to emacs, and do a
yank (C-y) the text is pasted into my buffer.

So, what I'd like to be able to do is to select some text in my
browser and feed it to emacs with a little script (applescript plus a
commandline call to emacsclient probably) and have emacs fire up a
remember buffer and past the clipboard contents into that buffer.
Then, I would just have to decide which page to associate the note
with once I switch to emacs itself. Another variant would be to just
automatically have the note put on my today page without any further
input from me.

Anyway, I saw in remember.el a function called remember-clipboard and
thought that this function would be a good function to call with my
script-to-be. But alas, there's a snag here already. When I call the
function with M-x remember-clipboard, it returns: "Symbol's function
definition is void: x-get-selection-internal". OK, this is where I
don't know how to proceed, since I am an emacs newbie.

Any advice either on the particular issue of why remember-clipboard
doesn't actually remember the clipboard, or on the general issue of
how to have a clipping from outside emacs remembered as a note on my
planner pages?

Thanks,

Kai von Fintel
address@hidden