[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sachawiki: 2004.08.25

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sachawiki: 2004.08.25
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:47:47 +0900

Frederik Fouvry <address@hidden> writes:

> The ISO format for dates is yyyy/mm/dd or yyyy-mm-dd.  If one
> format for dates is chosen, it should be that one, not in the

yyyy.mm.dd works really well for me, as I don't have to explain
what order it's in. Japan uses it too. Yay! =)

> acceptable - and for Germans normal ;-).  I'm sorry if I sound
> harsh, but I really think that being able to change the date
> format is (for the standard release!) a feature that does not

True, true, which is why I'm not hacking on it. Still, someone wants
it enough to come up with a way to deal with that, and it's nice
having contrib code... =) Some people might be wired for
European-style dates. If so, then maybe we can get the program to
adapt to them instead of the other way around.

I think more software should be like that. We can adapt it to our
particular quirks and share those adaptations with others. =)

> bring anything at all (`featurism').  (An acceptable alternative
> to do obtain the same effect is to use links of the form
> [[2004.08.16][16.08.2004]].  Should be easy enough to generate.)

Hmm, interesting idea. Would publishing markup be okay? This is good
if you don't mind thinking in yyyy.mm.dd, but need dd.mm.yyyy-style
dates for your audience.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun