[emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?

From: pll+ew
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] planner-insert-task-at-point?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:45:35 -0400

Hi all,

I'm finding that the things I'd like planner to do for me keep
changing, and often expanding :)

The latest is that I've decided to track on my day page two different
types of tasks; planned and unplanned.  Being a sysadmin means my
life consists of those things I'd like to do or need to plan out but
will, in most likeliness, never get a chance to work on.  These tasks
usually have a plan page associated with them :)

Then, there are the daily (sometimes every-five-minutely!)
interuptions which is most of my day.  Recently, while reading the
planner/emacs-wiki manual (the pdf fonts aren't too bad when you
print out on a dead tree :) I read the section entitled
'Generating daily accomplishment reports'.  This sounded great!

However, I realized that because all my tasks are long range planned
tasks, I would seem to never accomplish anything.  All my
interruption-based tasks are usually located in my Notes section.

So I decided to try and just insert a task everytime I got
interrupted, or acted on something which required immediate attention.
That led me to try and break up my * Tasks section thusly:

  * Tasks

  ** Daily Stuff

  ** Long Term stuff

However, when doing that, I noticed that planner-create-task-from-buffer
(C-c C-t) inserts a task under * Tasks, not where the cursor/point currently
is.  I can definitely see why you'd want that, but I'm willing to deal with
the effort to place point where I want the task to end up :)

So, is there a variable I can set which just create a task wherever
point happens to be when I call planner-create-task-* ?

Another solution might be to change the behavior of the
planner-create-task-* functions such that either:

 - planner recognizes sub-sections of * Tasks and
   planner-create-task-* solicits a section name from you when you
   create a task

or

 - as long as your in a specific section of * Tasks,
   planner-create-task-* will place the task appropriately within
   that section (dependant upon the value of planner-add-task-at-end-flag?)

Thanks!
--
Seeya,
Paul

GPG Key fingerprint = 1660 FECC 5D21 D286 F853  E808 BB07 9239 53F1 28EE