[emacs-wiki-discuss] files opened

From: fouvry+emacs-wiki
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] files opened
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:07:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I don't remember if I asked this already (and I cannot find the
archive either to check it), so here it goes:

When I have only the day planner file open, and I save it after a
modification, I find that the procedure has opened all planner
pages that are linked to from that page.  That's a bit like
opening a web page in a browser and having it open for you
all pages directly linked from the page.
It also makes buffer lists quite large, so that they are harder
to deal with, and highlighting takes quite a bit of the time as
well.

Better IMO would be to close files that were not opened before,
unless the interactive command given by the user implies that the
file should remain open (e.g. planner-goto, etc.).  I don't
really know how one could go about doing this.  Perhaps the
easiest is by checking if a file is opened first, and restoring
the situation after updating it.  It seems that
planner-update-task() is to "blame".  (There doesn't seem to be a
simple defadvice() way round it.)

And something else: In planner-id.el, I had to comment out the
line with
        ((boundp 'write-file-hooks) 'write-file-hooks)
at the end of the file, because it seemed to have a buffer-local
effect (the global value was erased for that buffer), and
local-write-file-hooks should be used for buffer-local settings.
(in Emacs 21.3 - latest _release_).

Best,

Frederik