[emacs-wiki-discuss] an odd proposal....

From: Brad Collins
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] an odd proposal....
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:26:55 +0700

Okay, here is an odd idea.

Yesterday on the emacs-sources list an updated version of comics.el
was posted.

Since I was working on something important and a on tight deadline, I
obviously stopped work, grabbed the file, installed it and began
downloading a bunch of comics.

The weird thing is that the whole time I was doing this, all I was
thinking was; how can I hack planner so that every day when I bring up
my daily planner page, that it could automatically pull up a Dilbert
and dump it into my plan page in the same way that it pulls up diary
entries.

I don't have the time to create a planner-comics.el, nor do I likely
have the programing skills to do so, but it's interesting that I now
think of planner as being sort of the organizational anchor for
everything I am doing in Emacs which is to say, everything I am doing.

Remember has already started us down this road, by making planner the
place to pull in all the things we want to jot down as we work, so
why not also let us create a highly customized environment for
pulling in nearly any type of daily information that we use.

A Planner that not only let's us keep track of what we want to
remember, but what the comic strip we looked at, the weather in
Bangkok, or even a list of items from an rss newsfeed would transform
Planner into a personal information record of the information we use
as well as what we plan on doing.

So the question I am asking this list is: Do you want dilbert, or
weather or stock quotes or slashdot headlines on your daily plan page?

Planner could do this well, and create some context for the daily plan
so that when you go back and look at what you were doing last year you
can see what was happened as well as what you had done.

Personally, I hope that others think this direction is a cool idea.

b/

--
Brad Collins
Chenla Labs