[emacs-wiki-discuss] bug with interaction of text-properties and sorting

From: Maciej Kalisiak
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] bug with interaction of text-properties and sorting?
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:49:15 -0400

On some of my ~/Plan pages I'm running into a very frustrating bug, or perhaps
some unforseen consequence of my planner setup.  On some pages the automatic
task sort on buffer-save gets confused and messes up.  Here is what happens: I
modify the page in any way, and hit C-x C-s to save it.  Emacs gives back an
error "Args out of range: 68 1448", and the block of tasks in the buffer now
has a duplicate copy of one of the tasks at the bottom of it (not sure, but I
think it is always a copy of the very first task).  Saving again fixes things
(keeping the duplicate), but the task font-lock/colouring disappears.  Doing
C-c C-l twice gets things back to normal.  I set debug-on-error and got the
following stack:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range 68 1448)
  put-text-property(68 1448 fontified nil)
  jit-lock-after-change(1312 1448 0)
  insert-buffer-substring(#<buffer ToolTweakPlanner> 111 247)
  sort-reorder-buffer(...)
  sort-subr(...)
  sort-fields-1(...)

Most of the time this is not a problem, but in some plan pages it is very
persistent problem, which makes me suspect that it is somehow related to the
text content of the page.

Any guesses, hints, suggestions on debugging this further?

--
Maciej Kalisiak       mac "at" dgp.toronto.edu       www.dgp.toronto.edu/~mac