[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: a couple more planner things

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: a couple more planner things
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:22:43 +0800

Yvonne Thomson <address@hidden> writes:

>> I've thought about this some too, and there are definitely times when
>> that would be convenient, but I think that overall I prefer to have the
> It does actually take arguments, and I thought of doing it that way. The
> problem comes in if I try to submit it to Sacha for other people to
> use. It seems kind of insane to have multiple commands to create

Hmmm. The prefix argument's already being used to indicate that this
task won't have a plan page, although now that "nil" is a perfectly
acceptable plan page specifier, we can change the prefix to mean
"Create task on this page" instead. In that case, it will create the
task for the current page, and prompt for the missing page (plan or
date). The function description would then look like this:

@defun planner-create-task-from-buffer title date plan-page
Create a new task named @var{title} on @var{date} based on the current
buffer.

With a prefix, associate the task with the current planner page.  If
you create a task on a date page, you will be prompted for a plan
page.  If you create a task on a plan page, you will be prompted for a
day page.  If nil is specified, the task is created only on the
current page.

See @code{planner-create-task} for more information.

The new task is created at the top or bottom of the first block of
tasks on the scheduled day page (if any), depending on the value of
@code{planner-add-task-at-end-flag}.
@end defun

Is that acceptable behavior? If so, then I can go and implement it. =)

> Do you think it'd be too "magical" to tack this on to
> create-task-from-buffer as well? I can't figure out if this'd be too
> confusing, or whether if you were in calendar and hit
> "create-task-from-buffer" you'd *expect* the task to be planned on
> the day you were looking at. Again, we could use a variable to
> decide this, but heck, planner's got more flags already than most
> apps.

Come to think of it, that behavior makes sense for planner.
planner--dev--1.0--patch-103.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun