[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some comments after using planner.el for a whil

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some comments after using planner.el for a while
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:39:31 +0800

Niklas Morberg <address@hidden> writes:

> 1 Customizable sort order of tasks (for the Day pages). I am
>   using the three priorites as locations "A=Work, B=Home,
>   C=Errands". Most of my tasks are work related. I prefix
>   stuff with the type of action needed, e.g. "Call: Peter...",
>   "Mail: Paul...", "Web: Search for Mary...". If I could sort
>   the tasks by name, all Call: tasks would be grouped together
>   which would be great. I would also like to put my delegated
>   items at the bottom. Today they are all grouped together in
>   the middle(?).

Ahh. That's probably because that's really not how task priorities and
status marks should be used. I use this in my planner-config.el to turn
off automatic task rearrangement:

(add-hook 'planner-mode-hook
          (lambda ()
            (remove-hook 'write-file-functions 'planner-renumber-tasks t)))

You can use this instead, if you want:

(defadvice planner-renumber-tasks (around niklas activate)
   "Do nothing."
   nil)

Or you can look at the definition of planner-renumber-tasks and get it
to follow the sorting order you want.

It's supposed to put completed tasks at the bottom. Delegated tasks
are still up in the air. Pending tasks get moved near the bottom too.

> 2 A variation of a previous request of mine to get a better
>   overview: I use the Notes section for small sub-projects,
>   e.g. in my TaskPool I have "I understand how planner-notes
>   work". It would be great to get a summary of all planning

I'm not sure how easy it'd be to scan all the pages for notes and yet
make sure I don't run into duplicates... <planner-past-notes> might be
interesting, but it's only for HTML publishing, I think. Still, if you
find it useful, we can probably find some way to make it interactive.

>   pages (even those without notes) and their related notes. I
>   looked at planner-notes, but it only seems to collect notes
>   for specific days. (emacs-wiki-index is a good start and
>   goes a long way; I would like to exclude all "day" pages,
>   though. Also, I'm not able to use the index for navigation
>   -- when selecting an item I get: `emacs-wiki-visit-link:
>   Wrong type argument: stringp, nil'. Not your problem, I
>   guess :))

Strange. emacs-wiki-index works here. Oh, you might want to check out
planner-experimental for a better index that works with planner pages.

> 3 When publishing the wiki, it would be nice to have a
>   "today.html" file. That way I could use that as a start
>   page in my browser, and it would always have the current
>   day.

I do that dynamically, but maybe something like that is part of
planner-calendar...

> 4 The "day" pages clutter my Plans directory quite a bit.
>   Being able to hide them in a subdirectory would be nice.

Hmm. Not quite sure how to go about doing this yet.

> 5 A possibility to move tasks between pages. Sometimes I
>   enter a task on the TaskPool page, only to discover that
>   it really deserves a planning page of its own.

M-x planner-replan-task

> This might seem like a lot of whining, so I'd like to point
> out that I really like planner and I am using it as my only
> planning tool at the moment.

=) No prob.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun