[emacs-wiki-discuss] MAJOR SPLITTING in PlannerMode

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] MAJOR SPLITTING in PlannerMode
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 15:54:48 +0800

MAJOR SPLITTING for PlannerMode

As the relationship between PlannerMode, EmacsWikiMode, and
RememberMode isn't very clear to people, I've broken them up into
separate directories. This also helps me focus on what's supposed to
be in stable and what's supposed to be in development.

**** Getting planner

You can download individual files from

- http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/stable (Stable)
- http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/dev    (Development)

You can also get files through tla (arch).

tla register-archive address@hidden http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/arch/
tla get address@hidden/emacs-wiki--stable--1.0 emacs-wiki
tla get address@hidden/planner--stable--1.0 planner
tla get address@hidden/remember--stable--1.0 remember

or

tla register-archive address@hidden http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/arch/
tla get address@hidden/emacs-wiki--dev--1.0 emacs-wiki
tla get address@hidden/planner--dev--1.0 planner
tla get address@hidden/remember--dev--1.0 remember

.tar.gzs will be regenerated soon.

**** Stable and development

I promise not to put any undocumented features into the stable branch.
The stable branch currently contains undocumented features and a
number of bugs. I will feature-freeze it until all features are
documented.

***** Bugfixes

Bugfixes will be written for the development branch and applied to
stable as soon as possible after being ported for it. They should not
significantly change the behavior of the system unless indicated in
the changelog with "NOTE:". I will try to test it with a separate plan
directory and config files.

***** Features

Features will be committed for the development branch. If a feature
were requested by someone, they will not be committed to the stable
branch until the person who requested the feature okays the feature
and contributes documentation.

(In fact, a good way to do this feature thing would be for people to
submit documentation patches along with the feature request. That way,
we understand how things are supposed to work... =) )

The work that went into the development branch of planner
(planner--sacha--1.0) will eventually be merged into
planner--dev--1.0, emacs--wiki--dev--1.0, or remember--dev--1.0 after
I review the changesets and repatch.

**** Documentation

Please contribute to the emacswiki.org pages for PlannerMode,
RememberMode and EmacsWikiMode! =)

Info files for each will be included as soon as possible. Actually,
EmacsWikiMode and PlannerMode should probably be documented using
EmacsWikiMarkup so that people can submit patches to them easily...

**** Licensing

I've been remiss in explicitly asking about the licensing of
contributed patches. As emacs-wiki, remember and planner are GPL2, I
currently treat all contributed code as GPL2 as well. My understanding
may be wrong, but I do hope that everyone's fine with this. I'd like
this to eventually become part of GNU Emacs if they want it, and johnw
said he's okay with signing copyright papers. I don't know much about
how to go about this, though.

**** Summary of changes

Arch users will now need to get three separate archives:

   emacs-wiki--stable--1.0
   planner--stable--1.0
   remember--stable--1.0

or

   emacs-wiki--dev--1.0
   planner--dev--1.0
   remember--dev--1.0

planner currently requires emacs-wiki to work (removed development
code temporarily).

remember does not depend on planner or emacs-wiki, but works best with
planner installed.

emacs-wiki can be used without any of the other modules.

The original archives (emacs-wiki--sacha--1.0 and planner--sacha--1.0)
are still available, but will no longer be committed to.

Files can be downloaded from

- http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/stable (Stable)
- http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/dev    (Development)

Dev has restarted from stable.

If there are features you would like restored Right Away, please
e-mail me or the list with documentation on how to use the feature.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun