Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner stable release

From: Eric . Belpaire
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner stable release
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:39:25 +0100

Sacha et alia,

I strongly suggest that you feature-freeze until all the existing features
are documented.
If everybody contributes his/her part, this could be done quite quickly,
provided that the list of features to be documented is clear to everyone.
You've already provided this list some days ago.
It has the added benefit of providing everybody with a better overview of
PlannerMode.
I hope this helps.

Eric

|--------+-------------------------------------------------------------->
|        |  Sacha Chua <address@hidden>                              |
|        |  Sent by:                                                    |
|        |  address@hidden|
|        |  rg                                                          |
|        |  25/03/2004 11:40                                            |
|        |  Please respond to Sacha Chua                                |
|        |                                                              |
|--------+-------------------------------------------------------------->

address@hidden (Thomas Gehrlein) writes:

> what do you think of a stable release of planner?  Now that Travis almost
has
> finished the documentation might be a good time to put together a planner
> package that:
> 1) Can be downloaded and installed as a complete package (vs. installing
and
>    downloading several modules).
> 2) Works as documented and contains no undocumented features.
> 3) Has few bugs and no experimental code.
> Basically something that works out of the box, something you load down,
install
> and play around with if you have 20 minutes to spare.

I would like that.

Of course, that means I need to resist the temptation to hack new
features into emacs-wiki--sacha--1.0. Perhaps I should just branch off
planner--stable--1.0. To keep the code neat and clean, I should only
commit quick bugfixes when the original reporter has confirmed that
the development branch is working, and add new features only when
other people have confirmed no problems with a patch (and added
whatever documentation they wanted).

(Or something like that; I might be a poor judge of "stable".)

Or I can just feature-freeze until all the existing features are
documented, commit new features to the development branch, and commit
them to stable only when people understand the features added. <grin>

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun