[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-cyclic

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-cyclic
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:37:48 +0800

John S J Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

>   I'm trying to start using planner (and emacs-wiki, etc) for my
>   planning. It seems like it should fit fairly well with what I've

Yay! =)

>   been doing with pen'n'paper. Naturally, I'm finding a few spots
>   where things don't work exactly as I want them to. I'll try to keep
>   the questions down to a mild flood. 8^)=

We'd love to help out.

>   At first, everything appeared to be working just like I wanted it --
>   I get those tasks in every "day" page. But since these tasks are
>   daily, if I forget to do one, I don't want it to carry over. I
>   thought that's what setting planner-cyclic-diary-nag to nil was
>   supposed to do, but it appears that undone tasks are getting carried
>   over -- maybe because of planner-carry-tasks-forward being t? If
>   anybody could shed light on this, I'd be grateful.

You're right! Pfft. Hmm. Ah, that's because
planner-cyclic-create-tasks-maybe is called _before_ the tasks are
carried over. I need to find a more elegant way to deal with this.

Here's something I've just committed for the procrastinator in all of
us: "C" status, for cancelled tasks. Turn

#A0 _ Task

into

#A0 C Task

and you don't have to worry about it being carried over, but it's not
marked completed either.

>   One other thing I'd like to have is the ability to have a mix of
>   cyclic tasks, some that carry over automatically and some that
>   don't. Is there any way to accomplish that?

Hmm. Quick workaround: create some tasks with C status. (We'll
probably want to tweak the sort order and the highlighting, then.)

Can you think of a nice way to indicate this in plain text?

>   Is there any way to have a cyclic task only Monday through Friday
>   without spelling out each day in the diary-cyclic file?

Try Google:emacs+diary+weekday

>   of my long-term aspirations is to write some scripts that crawl day
>   pages and generate stats on how often I do or don't complete these
>   cyclic tasks.

Now you get to see all the tasks you've cancelled, instead of just
deleting the task... =)

Also, recently committed change makes planner-cyclic not rewrite past
pages. This should prevent old deleted tasks from popping up again.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun