Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner und Wiki with Debian

From: Michael Alan Dorman
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Planner und Wiki with Debian
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:15:20 -0500

Raimund Kohl-Fuechsle <address@hidden> writes:
> I am planning to reconfigure my machine and wonder what would work
> better.  Since I will install Debian (not yet sure if woody or sarge) I
> wonder if it would be better to use apt-get to implant emacs-wiki and
> planner-el, or if it would be better to have both of them in
> /home/emacs-lisp ... or if it doesn't matter a single bit.  It's a
> single user machine, no network configured (besides dsl).

I would say install sarge, and then take advantage of the fact that
the upstream author is also maintaing the debian packages. ;)

Personally, I no longer run unstable on any important machines (though
I've done so in the past, testing removes most of the "bleeding edge"
aspects that can make it so interesting).  However, for certain
packages, I want to run the most up-to-date versions.  The easiest
option, I think, is to list deb lines for both testing and unstable,
but tell apt to prefer the testing release using:

  APT::Default-Release "testing";

In your /etc/apt/apt.conf (or in its own file in apt.conf.d, your
choice).

For packages where you want updates immediately do (for instance):

  apt-get install emacs-wiki/unstable planner-el/unstable

Dependencies may require you to add additional things to that line to
get things to install.  Anyway, that should effectively set the
packages in question to default to the unstable versions, while
everything else will draw from testing.

I think it's about the best solution out there.

Mike
--
She looks like Eve Marie Saint in On The Waterfront -- Lloyd Cole