Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: can you help me with some formatting issues

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: can you help me with some formatting issues
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:34:51 -0600

   | Well, it is tedious to have to write many variations on
   |
   |  [[Web_Authoring][Web Authoring]]

   I think one should be careful when "extending" the Wiki notation
   (if there is such a thing).  If you push it too far, you'll end
   up with something like HTML, and that's been invented already
   ;-).  Wikis are limited and therefore simple (or should be simple
   and are therefore limited).

   IMO the best way to work with spaces in a link is to first write
   a short version, e.g. with an underscore, and expand that with a
   preprocessor into a standard link.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "preprocessor" but
I'm guessing you mean `like what emacs-wiki does when you publish
your wiki pages'.

Anyway, in terms of "extending the wiki notation", compare

[[this is my favorite page]]

[[this_is_my_favorite_page][this is my favorite page]]

The first one is definitely the *least* like HTML!