[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: help with emacs-wiki and XEmacs

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: help with emacs-wiki and XEmacs
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:50:55 +0800

address@hidden writes:

> I'm running on Debian/stable (with some testing mixed in :) and using
> XEmacs 21.4.  I tried to install both emacs-wiki and planner using
> the Debian packages, but ran into problems, so I just copid the .el
> files from the web site into my ~/lisp directory.

That's odd. On my test account, I have XEmacs 21.4 and emacs-wiki_2.44,
planner-el_3.9 from http://sacha.free.net.ph/notebook/emacs/planner .
emacsen-install handles it without a hitch.

What kind of errors do you encounter?

> For some reason when I try to load a file using M-x
> emacs-wiki-find-file, I can open the file, but it's not in Wiki-mode.

Ah. Emacs-wiki doesn't wikify all files; just those in particular
directories (emacs-wiki-directories). Planner doesn't work on all
files, either, just those in planner-directory (by default, this is
~/Plans). Would you like to get started with the defaults first, and
then customize them later as you get the hang of it? You can find a
PlannerMode tutorial at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerModeQuickStart .

> When I try invoking M-x emacs-wiki-mode I get an error:
>   Symbol's function definition is void: \

That said, this is very odd. Calling emacs-wiki-mode in a directory
outside should still work. Could you please M-x toggle-debug-on-error
RET, reproduce the error, and send me the backtrace? Thanks!

> FWIW, emacs-wiki seems to work fine on my Mac G4 under XEmacs 21.4
> (via fink) with the exception that new files aren't in wiki-mode
> automatically.  But I don't get any errors.

New files should also automatically get wikified if they're in the
directory. This is handled by emacs-wiki-maybe. Can you confirm that
emacs-wiki-maybe is in your find-file-hook?

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun