emacs-tangents

Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 23:13:43 +0200

Gregory Heytings wrote:

>>> I understand (academically) that once someone has adapted
>>> themselves to a particular set of bugs, shortcomings, and
>>> limitations
>>
>> But here the bug was actually better from our perspective ...
>
> In which case you still have at least two possibilities:
>
> 1. Use an earlier version of Emacs in which that bug
> is present.
>
> 2. Build your own patched Emacs in which that bug
> is restored.

With this

  (set-char-table-extra-slot glyphless-char-display 0 "%")

and the latest change to not get the brackets for a single
char its pretty equivalent but the diamond was slightly better
since the percent sign (%) is a common char that is used not
all the time maybe but often enough. The with the yellow face
it isn't a problem, really.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal