emacs-tangents

Re: Help building Pen.el (GPT for emacs)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Help building Pen.el (GPT for emacs)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 20:57:42 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-07-24 19:46]:

> > I have never stated it is incompatible with free software, I have
> > asked how is GPL licensing compliance solved.
>
> No, you said we shouldn't use this.

Sorry for misunderstandings.

I don't remember I ever said we shouldn't use this. It does not appear
to me logical as I remember my intention was to find out how is
licensing compliance solved so that it becomes clear how it
works.

Question was directed to author of Pen.el and there was no clear
answer neither from you, so I found myself from online research that
at least in US for now it is based on "fair use" doctrine.

When we take the word "fair" in its original definition, it should be
obvious from online comments that many GPL authors do not really find
it "fair". It is however one defense that all of present similar AI
models have in common, they are to use "fair use" doctrine. We will
see that.

Also to mention, AI as such is not related to this particular case of
using GPL and other free software, it is just one small application of
overall artificial technology, there are many other applications which
are totally out of this context.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman