emacs-tangents

Re: Privileges and practicalities [was: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Privileges and practicalities [was: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el]
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 01:40:30 -0500

  > >Free software is a privilege, as it is.  It requires a lot of knowledge
  > >about computing praxis and culture, internet culture, legal stuff, and
  > >politics.

  > How privilege? I don't see how is free software privilege. Not for
  > me. It should be basic human right for users to have control of
  > their data, and not to let other companies or individuals control
  > my data.

This looks like a miscommnuication to me.  I think that what you are
arguing against may not be what Göktuğ meant.

  > >Most software,
  > >and
  > >most of popular software is closed source.

  > I did not count to say so. But what is popular it does not matter
  > in GNU project, what matters is that we do have fully free
  > software and operating systems.

What I see here is a disagreement about basic premises -- goals and
values.  I think you recognize that disagreement but Göktuğ doesn't
yet.

Göktuğ, I suggest reading
ttps://gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-even-more-important.html to
see what our goals and values are.

--
Dr Richard Stallman