emacs-tangents

Re: Privileges and practicalities [was: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Privileges and practicalities [was: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el]
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 17:23:46 +0100

> What GNU project promotes is free software. GNU never says to its
> users to use exclusively free software and never condemns people for
> using proprietary software.

Yet it maintains a blacklist of common GNU/Linux distros and labels them
as "unethical", even if these distros (like Debian and Fedora) have a
clear policy to exclude anything non-free from their main repositories.

I am certain that these distro maintainers act in good faith if they
mention (for example) CPU microcode for Spectre mitigation in their
documentation, even if that microcode isn't free software.