emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 23:23:18 +0300

* Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> [2021-01-07 22:38]:
> Gentoo is about choice, and has always leaned a little on the pragmatic
> side. If we would (for example) exclude all non-free Linux firmware,
> then I am certain that in order to have a usable system, most users
> would choose to install such firmware nevertheless, bypassing the
> package manager. Again, our default there is to install only free
> firmware, but we leave users the choice to install additional blobs when
> they explicitly ask for it.

Then maybe that is how users are trained or indoctrinated into Gentoo
as managers or maintainers of Gentoo did not teach users about free
software. I am sorry for that. That is why Gentoo will not be endorsed
by GNU project.

I am using mostly Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre now and I have no problems
installing it on plethora of computers. I may use Trisquel or other
FSF endorsed fully free GNU/Linux distribution. Not that I use any
firmware and it is true that maybe some wireless chip does not work,
but hey, it does not matter as we all have Internet here. I have
connected Internet by mobile phone and USB tethering method to one
computer that serves as router to switch that connects other
computers. It works well in a team.

> > Then please raise the bug issue. I myself do not have enough
> > information on who is doing what there. If you know, raise the issue.
>
> As a matter of fact, I had reported this in 2019 to the maintainer
> listed at https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Intlfonts#tab=Details but
> nothing has happened since then. Even worse, the directory lists the
> package as GPLv2orlater (and it says verified in 2001) while AFAICS it
> doesn't contain a single GPL licensed file.

How about nudging again?

Jean