emacs-tangents

Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs User Survey 2020 Results
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2020 21:58:47 +0100

Adrien Brochard <abrochard@gmx.com> writes:

> After a week of reading every submission, cleaning up the data, and
> leaning matplotlib, I finally have enough confidence to publish the
> results of the Emacs User Survey 2020.
>
> https://emacssurvey.org/2020/

Thanks a lot for doing this -- there's a bunch of interesting results
here.

Things I'm surprised by:

* How many people prefer daemon + emacsclient

* That the GUI is only used by 3-4x as many people as the terminal

* I'm not surprised that virtually everybody disables the toolbar, but
I'm a bit surprised that so many people disable the scroll bar (I do,
too).

* That the default keybindings are just 2x as popular as the vim-a-like
key bindings.  This one is really surprising to me, because we seldom
get bug reports about things in that corner.  But perhaps they just work
perfectly?

* That ~two thirds of people who responded uses magit.  I knew it was
popular, but that's astounding.

Now, no surveys are representative, but it's interesting.