emacs-tangents

crdt.el: proposal that server enforces the mode

From: Jean Louis
Subject: crdt.el: proposal that server enforces the mode
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 02:54:35 +0300

I do not know why, but often when I go do some personal hygiene, my
mind get new ideas. I am programming in Emacs Lisp, but not internals
of Emacs, so I cannot know if following is right or wrong.

I was thinking of various modes, likes ses-mode for spreadsheet or Org
mode, there is also artist mode and other kind of special modes.

It would not be good if client can choose the mode and change it, that
would influence data, it could be disaster.

So in that sense, the mode of editing should be set and dictated by
the server.

Now, what if client does not have some of the modes? This condition
also has to be handled, maybe there should be option

crdt-allow-client-with-non-existant-mode or similar

As maybe some modes are just fine to be edited on server let us say in
Org mode, and fundamental mode could be used on client's side.

>From Internet searches and report of my friend, I got impression that
major collaboration is on spreadsheet, that is why there is Ethercalc
software, it works online. So if it is on spreadsheets, people wish to
insert their statistics or reports. Spreadsheets are exactly related
to this proposal.

ses-mode handles spreadsheets, there may be dismal spreadsheet, and
there may be table modes in Emacs.

For example, in Org mode, table handling, if I press TAB, I can all
the table nicely aligned, if I press TAB in mail-mode I get several
spaces, it would not be same thing, you will say more about that.