emacs-tangents

Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: The poor state of documentation of pcase like things.
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2016 15:33:40 +0200

On 01/03/2016 11:02 AM, David Kastrup wrote:

Uh what?  Whether pcase does not help with simple cases should have
little bearing on whether it helps with more complex cases.

But it does. It takes less code, and follows the common design of pattern matching, which isn't hard to understand and internalize. In the more complex cases, the syntax may have some thorns, but not in cases where you could replace it with `cl-case'.

So if a person refuses to use it, *and* would choose to rewrite it using `cond' on any occasion, that tells me they won't reach for it in the more complex cases either.

If it does not help with simple cases, and it does not help with complex
cases, yes, that would be the obvious best choice.  I don't think that
this the argument you intend to make.

And I didn't.

You are arguing as if we were paid for its use, not as if it had
inherent value.

If *you* use it, *I* get to read it, and enjoy the succinctness and readability. And it's easier to extend later.