Re: Table not expanded as I expect upon <TAB>

From: Alain . Cochard
Subject: Re: Table not expanded as I expect upon <TAB>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 13:40:37 +0200

Ihor Radchenko writes on Mon 27 Mar 2023 11:19:
 > Alain.Cochard@unistra.fr writes:
 >
 > > Maybe it is normal, but if I put the cursor anywhere in the 1st line
 > > (say) of this table
 > >
 > > ||---+---|
 > > || x | x |
 > >
 > > and press <TAB>, it becomes
 > >
 > > |   | ---+--- |   |
 > > |   | x       | x |
 > >
 > > which is not what I would expect.
 >
 > This is expected.
 > Only |- at the beginning of the line is seen by Org as horizontal rule.
 > ||-... is an empty cell || followed by a cell |-...|.

Yeah... I should have figured it out by myself.  Thanks a lot for your
time.

But this got me thinking: I wonder if there is a reasonable/meaningful
use of <TAB> either in my above example (with one '|' on the left of
each row) or after inserting a single '|' on the top left position of
the following table

|---+---|
| x | x |

which gives

| x | x       |

At 1st sight, it does not seem so to me (in particular, LaTeX export
does not turn '---+---' into an horizontal rule for the 2
corresponding columns).  So then one could imagine that '|<TAB>' at
the beginning of a line starting by '|-' would be interpreted just as
'|-<TAB>'.  (Not a dramatic improvement, I admit :-)

--
EOST (École et Observatoire des Sciences de la Terre)
ITE (Institut Terre & Environnement) | alain.cochard@unistra.fr