Re: [patch] ob-clojure: Fix results output

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [patch] ob-clojure: Fix results output
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 12:35:39 +0000

Daniel Kraus <daniel@kraus.my> writes:

>> Also, make sure that
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-clojure.html
>> is up-to-date.
>
> Good reminder. I send a PR for this when this patch is installed?!

Or together. Either way is fine.

>> Note: I do not see :target header arg being documented in
>> https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-clojure.html
>
> This was apparently a kludge that ob-clojure used to evaluate ClojureScript
> in the normal clojure:execute function.
> I simply used the same kludge where I need to check for cljs, but after
> reviewing it's not really necessary and I removed the :target parameter
> completely. As this was undocumented I guess it's ok to remove?!

Yes, it is OK to remove what is undocumented. We may still announce the
change though.

>>> -(defun ob-clojure-eval-with-babashka (bb expanded)
>>> -  "Evaluate EXPANDED code block using BB (babashka or nbb)."
>>> -  (let ((script-file (org-babel-temp-file "clojure-bb-script-" ".clj")))
>>
>> This will remove a non-private function. May you leave a fallback
>> obsolete alias to not break third-party code that calls the old function
>> name?
>
> I created an obsolete-function-alias.

It should better go to org-compat.el.

> Attached is the new patch with the changes.

Thanks!
A few more comments below.

> +*** New ~org-babel-clojurescript-backend~ option to choose ClojureScript
> backend
> +
> +Before, a ClojureScript source block used the same backend as Clojure,
> +configured in ~org-babel-clojure-backend~ and relied on an undocumented
> +~:target~ paramter.
> +
> +Now, there's ~org-babel-clojurescript-backend~ to determine the
> +backend used for evaluation of ClojureScript.

What about the new customization `ob-clojure-cli-command'?

> -(defcustom ob-clojure-nbb-command (executable-find "nbb")
> +(defcustom ob-clojure-nbb-command (or (executable-find "nbb")
> +                                      (when-let (npx (executable-find "npx"))
> +                                        (concat npx " nbb")))
>    "Path to the nbb executable."

This is not a path anymore, when the value is "npx nbb".
Can just use "Command to invoke nbb executable".

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,