Re: [RFC] Re: Headings and Headlines

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [RFC] Re: Headings and Headlines
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2022 16:54:06 +0100

> I know for sure
> that changing `headline' element to `heading' element type will break
> important packages like org-roam. And there is no good way to work
> around this. We cannot make symbol aliases in Elisp in scenarios like
> (memq (org-element-type ...) '(headline inlinetask)).

We cannot make symbol aliases in Elisp but maybe we can support both
symbols for a transitory period during which we warn third-part devs
about replacing the deprecated 'headline symbol?

> I came to the conclusion that it will, in fact, be easier to change all
> things to use "headline" -- all the instances of "heading" in Org code
> are in function names, variable names, and docstrings. All can be
> changed using obsolete aliases.

Given Vikas and Tim feedback, I would rather move forward by changing
"headline" to "heading" *where it does not break anything* then see if
the proposed scenario above is workable.

In this case, I believe it's better to be partially correct (heading
where possible) than to be consistently wrong (headline everywhere) :)

WDYT?

--
 Bastien