Re: Docstrings and literate programming (good practices?)

From: Samuel Wales
Subject: Re: Docstrings and literate programming (good practices?)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 19:07:13 -0700

On 11/4/22, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:
> 1. We need to convert from Elisp docstring format to Org markup

not sure what is needed here as it is just a brainstorm.  but i have a
manual i am loath to copy docstrings into when they are already in the
code.  i could adumbrate a bit i the manual but i alreadyu do that
initially in the docstrings.

first line is a good schelling point for this. b ut you are right
there is no standard i am awre of for anything more thn that.

> 2. More importantly, User manual is something to be written as a
>    coherent text; not an agglomeration of docstring. (Yes, I am aware of
>    the fact that it is not always the case in practice; But we should
>    not encourage the current situation)

agreed, it is for a oherent text.  the docstrings wuold be in a
section like "Commands you might like to run in this mode".  Or so.
and have key bidings.

they are not the whole manual.

--
The Kafka Pandemic