Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: Line breaks and brackets in LaTeX export
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 14:23:29 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

>> Assuming that there is currently no alternative to the non-selective
>> solution, and that, as you say, the presence of brackets may be more
>> common than I initially expected, if I had to choose between \empty and
>> [0pt], I would say that [0pt] is the safest, as it is an expected
>> argument to \\ and equals the default space. I can't think of any
>> unexpected results from this, but of course, it also depends on there
>> being no package redefining \\ with another argument structure on its
>> own. I think it would be a bad idea for a package developer, but LaTeX
>> (and the LaTeX packages) is horribly unpredictable.
>
> It is easy to change \\\empty constant to \\[0pt] if necessary. I have
> no objection either way. Though I do not feel like we are in rush. I'd
> like to hear from ox-latex maintainer.

Today I have tried with the latest version of tabularray (2022C, the one
I tried yesterday was 2022A, included in TeX Live 2022), and the bad
results persist. Also, it now returns a compile error when an \empty
precedes a \hline. I suspect this package does a pretty drastic
redefinition of \\. The [0pt] option still works fine here, though.