Re: idea for capture anywhere in x

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: idea for capture anywhere in x
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2022 20:08:25 +0300

* Max Nikulin <manikulin@gmail.com> [2022-10-09 19:41]:
> On 09/10/2022 21:47, Jean Louis wrote:
> >
> > I have basic concept to capture X selection in file and get it in
> > Emacs. It is not really related to Org, one can capture X selection
> > and record it anyhow. There is no need for org-protocol this way.
> >
> > File: ~/bin/capture-x-selection.sh
> >
> > #!/usr/bin/bash
> > TEMP=/tmp/xselection.txt
> > xsel -o > $TEMP
>
> Jean, take a breath and think several minutes on your recipe. You will
> figure out that (perhaps unsafe) intermediate file is redundant. Emacs can
> access text/plain target of PRIMARY_SELECTION and CLIPBOARD directly (anyway
> xsel, unlike xclip, is not your friend if you need more). In default
> configuration C-y yanks from CLIPBOARD, mouse middle click from
> PRIMARY_SELECTION.

Thank you.

Directly of courseworks, but that would mean that you have to make
several clicks, not just one click. It also implies you must have
Emacs in front of you, and not sitting around as server in background
or anywhere.

You must be on window manager workspace with Emacs to capture X
selection as without Emacs in front of you, how do you invoke it in
that case?

> The idea of org-protocol is to pass more data.

It is structured data, something like '(:url "https://www.example.com";
:title "Something" :body "More here") and it may be anything in
general.

But no, I don't find it appealing in itself apart from using those
ready made browser extensions.

In fact when we speak of capturing any selection from X, I would not
like relying on Emacs, it would be better using SQLite or PostgreSQL
for that. One can define templates and forms and use some graphical
dialogs like yad, zenity, which then insert things into database.

Once in Emacs, it is easy to convert it without doing anything, to Org
or any other type of file.

Of course I don't use Org capture browser extensions to insert
anything in Org files. Not when I have it faster and better.

> Outside of Org there is e.g. remember mode (info "remember")
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_mono/remember.html
> You might notice remnants of org-remember in docs related to org-capture.

That is great simplest note taking system.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman