Re: IM dev discussions?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: IM dev discussions?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2022 08:55:15 +0200

> Discourse does allow anonymous email replies.
> https://blog.discourse.org/2016/07/reply-by-email-enabled-for-all-discourse-customers/
> (search "unregistered")

I did not know that - thanks for the pointer.

I'd interested in exploring a use-case: does anyone know of a
Discourse instance that is *fully* bridged with a mailing list?

In the hypothesis of

1. someone maintains a Discourse instance for Org users

2. this instance proves to be very useful to many Org users

3. we find an example of a full ML/Discourse bridge that works

3. Org maintainers decide at some point to promote it from
   org-mode-community-forum.org to forum.orgmode.org

then I'd be in favor of a *partial* bridge with the list, forwarding
only topics that have a "ML" category, for example.

This way forum.orgmode.org would compete with reddit, stackoverflow,
etc. as a user-to-user platform without competing with the list as the
place to contribute to Org's development.

This is the same reasoning than the one I presented on how to handle
third-places like reddit/SO: it is good if they offer various ways for
users to interact with each other *provided* that we have a good way
to ensure that we the ML don't lose those interactions that belongs to
the ML (bug reports, patches, feature requests, etc.) - the "way" here
is to ask for Org contributor stewards on these places.

I hope this all makes sense - I suggest we revisit this topics in a
few months, so that we can all focus on releasing Org 9.6.

--
 Bastien