Re: Opening of links

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Opening of links
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 18:06:23 +0700

On 24/09/2022 18:49, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 23/09/2022 21:49, Guillaume MULLER wrote:

- My OS settings are configured so that PDFs are opened in Evince. I configured this with "xfce4-settings-manager > Default Applications" (which runs "xfce4-mime-settings" under the hood) and it can be verified with "xdg-open test.pdf" or by opening Thunar and clicking on "test.pdf".

I would name it desktop environment configuration since OS may have more settings and it is your issue.

These settings likely alters ~/.config/mimeapps.list
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mime-apps-spec/mime-apps-spec-1.0.html
"Association between MIME types and applications"

Unfortunately Emacs does not support this part of XDG specs, so there are no ready to use functions to work with .desktop files and MIME associations. You may add entries calling xdg-open for file types you wish to the `org-file-apps' custom variable.

Likely the following entry in `org-file-apps' to override maicap by xdg-open may allow to achieve what you expect:

    (system . (lambda (file _link) (browse-url-xdg-open file))))

However links with page numbers (supported for "docview:" type out of the box) will not work with such generic handler.