Re: Matrix (was Re: IM dev discussions?)

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Matrix (was Re: IM dev discussions?)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 10:38:03 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> One thing I do find frustrating these days is the fracturing of
> communications across so many different solutions. Makes me really miss
> newsgroups! It seems like almost every project I'm interested in these
> days is using a different solution for IM. (one reason I stopped using
> IRC was because most of the projects I was interested in stopped using
> it or the majority of interesting discussions moved to some other platform).

There are also bridges from * to IRC. See
https://web.archive.org/web/20220607072519/https://200ok.ch/posts/2019-11-01_irc_and_emacs_all_the_things.html
https://wiki.bitlbee.org/

> To avoid a proliferation of IM apps, I get the impression you could use
> Matrix and get access to many different messaging environments. Is this
> correct and is the Emacs matrix client mature/stable?

Emacs matrix client is ement.el developed by @alphapapa. It has been
recently released on GNU ELPA. So, you can see it as stable enough.

However, Matrix protocol itself is not yet stable. Something to keep in
mind.

--
Ihor Radchenko,
Org mode contributor,