Re: FR: support hard-newlines [9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /home/viz/lib/port

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: FR: support hard-newlines [9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /home/viz/lib/ports/emacs/lisp/org/)]
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2022 19:33:17 +0530

[செவ்வாய் செப்டம்பர் 20, 2022] Ihor Radchenko wrote:

>>> All in all, I feel that fully respecting `use-hard-newlines' in Org is
>>> not a good idea. We can do it partially (for filling), but I am afraid
>>> that it may create some confusion.
>>
>> I am not sure what you mean by confusion here: those who have
>> `use-hard-newlines' turned on are explicitly asking for it.  If
>> anything, I was confused when I found org-mode did not recognise
>> hard-newlines.
>
> Let me clarify.
>
> Current state of affairs is: Org ignores `use-hard-newlines'
> Proposed: Org sometimes ignores `use-hard-newline' and sometimes not.
>
> I do believe that what you suggest is a good idea (respecting
> `use-hard-newlines' when filling). However, I notice that some people
> may be more confused if we implement this FR compared to the existing
> situation. So, I am asking for feedback from other users instead of
> accepting the FR.

My point is that I don't see how this is confusing when the user who
turns on use-hard-newlines knows all its caveats, but like you say, lets
see what others say.

>> AFAICT, the rest two are comments (though I cannot tell the difference
>> between "comment" and "comment-block").  I replaced the one in paragraph
>> since that was where lack of hard-newlines support bit me.
>
> [...]
>
> I do not see why `use-hard-newline' should affect normal paragraphs but
> not comments.

I phrased my poorly.  I did not look at the calls of
fill-paragraph-as-region simply because the I hadn't tried to use
hard-newlines in comments.  I agree that we should support it comments
too.