Re: Support for tagging (special) blocks

From: Sébastien Miquel
Subject: Re: Support for tagging (special) blocks
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 10:00:24 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:
>>   >> On a slightly related note, I find it quite unfortunate that one
>>   >> presently cannot make use of the #+begin_ line of special blocks to
>>   >> set some kind of optional title instead of using #+name or
>>   >> #+attr_latex. That's a lot of wasted real estate.
>>   >
>>   > Yes, but we do not want to overcomplicate Org syntax. Affiliated
>>   > keywords are universal across multiple element types. Adding a
>> > specialized syntax for src blocks will make things complex technically
>>   > and create duplicate code.
>>   >
>> > We can alter the fontification to compact the screen space though. Will
>>   > it suffice?
>>   >

>> I don't see any possible compactification that doesn't hinder
>> readability. From my perspective, it is important that the type of the
>> special block, its title, and its tags are readable.
> I feel that I either misunderstand you here or in the previous message.

To clarify, here are the two alternatives I have in mind.

#+tag: easy
#+attr_latex: A classic
#+begin_exercice
Find a necessary and sufficient condition on $N$ and $P$ for $P = NP$
to hold.
#+end_exercice

#+begin_exercice A classic                                      :easy:
Find a necessary and sufficient condition on $N$ and $P$ for $P = NP$
to hold.
#+end_exercice

In my first message, I argue that wasting two lines of my screen
hinders reading and navigating the whole org file.

I'm not sure what fontification trick you had in mind to compact the
space, but if you were thinking of making the meta lines smaller, by
say 50%, I argue in my second message that this hinders the
readability of this single exercice. The first three lines each
contain information that is important to me when I browse the file (as
opposed to information that's only relevant for org export).

The only line that contains no content information is the #+end_exercice
line, which is only here for the org parser.

--
Sébastien Miquel