Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Proposal: 'executable' org-capture-templaes
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2022 20:24:13 +0800

Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:

>> Could you provide a bit more details? How exactly will the usage differ
>> from read-key?
>
> Short here: it will be ordinary text buffer, read only of course, with its own
> major mode derived from special mode and buffer local key maps, instead of
> major
> mode global maps, so user can just press a key in the buffer itself instead of
> being prompted.

Sounds reasonable.

> Single task workflow, I believe, can be guaranteed by allowing
> only one menu buffer per application, for example one org-capture menu at a
> time, but multiple applications could work since they will have different
> named
> buffers.

Again, reasonable. Though I did not see how it is possible in your demo.

> This is a suggestions. I really dislike the read-key implementation of
> org-mks,
> I don't think it is very easy to hack it in order to extend it, but I don't
> know
> if it is possible to block Emacs when using ordinary key map mechanism. If
> someone knows how to do it, I am all ears :).

There were other people who really dislike read-key implementation.
Notably Jean Louis and Eduardo Ochs.

A kind of hack you are asking for can be binding every other key to
function that aborts the menu. It will not restrict users, say, from
creating another frame. But otherwise it will pretty much work like
read-key.

Best,
Ihor