Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode

From: Tom Gillespie
Subject: Re: "Orgdown", the new name for the syntax of Org-mode
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 14:57:52 -0800

> I believe (IMHO) that it does not make much sense to separately name the
> Org Mode syntax (as a markup language). That would only generate
> confusion among users.

This is unfortunately not the case. Conflating Org mode which is an Emacs
major mode with Org syntax is a major communication barrier that leads to
confusion for anyone trying to implement a tool based on Org syntax. For
example I couldn't just call my implementation of an org-mode-like package
for Racket "Org mode" because it is not an Emacs major mode. The absence
of a name for Org syntax hampers search and discovery. I'm happy to keep
using the multi-word term Org syntax, but I have found a practical need to
distinguish the surface syntax from the Emacs major mode to reduce
confusing for technical users. Best,
Tom

PS Another brainstormed name: Orgsyn?