Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: suggestion to change default org-latex-pdf-process to latexmk
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 08:23:54 +0200

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> While testing org-cite a few weeks ago, I noticed by default bibtex
>> won't run with natbib export, or biblatex with biblatex export.
>>
>> Since org has not had native citations, this is not surprising.
>>
>> But with org-cite coming soon, this will change.
>>
>> At the time I suggested changing default to use latexmk, which will
>> handle both bibtex and biblatex runs.
>>
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2021-05/msg00486.html
>>
>> So what do LaTeX users think about changing the default for
>> "org-latex-pdf-process" to "latexmk"?
>>
>> Is there any reason not to do this?
>>

> The only reason I can think of is that it might not be available by
> default, so it will be one more thing for a noob to install before Org mode
> starts "working".

Of course, LaTeX itself, with or without latexmk, is something the noob
will have to install.  So the prerequisite could be "LaTeX with
latexmk".  With regards to Windows, Cygwin has latexmk in the
'texlive-collection-binextra' package and MikTeX has a 'latexmf'
package.  On Debian latexmf is also its own package and thus has to be
installed explicitly.

Personally I use Debian and have "org-latex-pdf-process" set to use
latexmk, so the change in the default wouldn't affect me.

Cheers,

Loris