Re: org-adapt-indentation not honored prior to Org 9.4?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: org-adapt-indentation not honored prior to Org 9.4?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 10:53:18 +0200

Hi,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Tim Cross writes:
>
>> one thing I think might help (maybe too late) would be to put the
>> entries for both electric-indent-mode and org-adapt-indentation so that
>> they are together in the release notes as they do interact with each
>> other and often people stop looking once they see one and not the other
>> (they are currently a fair 'distance' apart in the file).
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm not sure that it will help, but it's
> easy to do, at least in the Git repo [*], so I've done so in
> d017cdb0a.

Thanks for doing this.

> [*] That of course won't be in effect for the file included with Emacs
>     27.2.  It also won't be at <https://orgmode.org/Changes.html>.
>     Cc'ing Bastien in case he thinks updating 9.4's Changes.html is
>     worth it.

The overall discussion convinced me that `nil' is probably a better
default for `org-adapt-indentation' (instead of `t') so I suggest we
wait for the 9.5 changelog to promote these clarifications.

(I generally don't like the idea of revising the changelog after the
release even if we had and may well accept exceptions.)

--
 Bastien