How to preserve empty headings

From: Titus von der Malsburg
Subject: How to preserve empty headings
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 18:21:46 +0100

When I start a new line with '* ' followed by RET, the space is automatically
deleted and I’m left with a line that just has the asterisk (i.e. not a
headline).

Unfortunately there are use cases where empty headlines make sense and they
occur often in my work.  One example is Beamer slides where each headline at
some level produces a slide.  If the user needs a slide without title (common,
e.g., for a large images that fill the slide), an empty headline is needed.

Is there a way to teach Org to leave the empty headline intact?

I may be old-fashioned but when I type '* ', I do it for a reason and I wish
that my text editor respects that. :)

  Titus