Re: default :results

From: ian martins
Subject: Re: default :results
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2020 07:40:06 -0500

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 5:27 AM ian martins <ianxm@jhu.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 3:04 AM Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > The default for ob-shell execution was to use the output, not the
> > value.  Then we had a long discussion, leading to this:
> >
> > - The default (no :result) is to display the functional value
> >
> > - For some languages, it may break expectations, so in this case we
> >   allow a variable that let the default (no :result) use the output
> >   instead of the functional value.
> >
> >   This is what is being done for ob-shell.el where we have
> >   `org-babel-shell-results-defaults-to-output' set to `t'.
> >
> > See https://orgmode.org/list/877dt5trjr.fsf@bzg.fr/ for the conclusion
> > of the discussion.
>
> I agree with your reasoning. I already reverted the behavior, but
> Instead of adding a `org-babel-java-results-defaults-to-output
> variable' I set the default in `org-babel-default-header-args:java'.
> It was better because it didn't add a new variable, but worse because
> it isn't customizable. Should I change it?

shortly after sending this I reverted another change I'd made to
default behavior by setting it in
`org-babel-default-header-args:java'. Another benefit of doing it here
is that this variable becomes a list of ways in which a language
doesn't follow normal babel default conventions, making it easy to
find.