Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Changed list indentation behavior: how to revert?
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 06:02:10 +0300

so, i also agree that the new('ish) behavior is somewhat surprising.

[i once changed the behavior of the "Enter" key in Berkeley Unix, and
suffered the (well-deserved, in that case) arrows that soon entered my
back.]

from that perspective, i wonder if maybe there's an interpretation of
elastic-indent mode that is more in line with what at least some of us
expect?

cheers, Greg

[ps -- in the BSD case above, i was tied to a very particular reading of
a section of the early Telnet RFC (sadly, i've always tended to
dogmatism).  there had been plenty of discussion, albeit within a small
group of BSD developers, and, with reservations, agreement had been
reached to make the change.  after releasing that version of BSD Unix,
users started reacting, and Mike Karels worked me into seeing an
alternative interpretation, we made the fix, patches were released, and
all, other than my somewhat bruised ego, were soon well.]