Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the standardization of Org
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2020 12:39:36 +0000

+1 for everything that both Pankaj and Tim have said.

I've said this elsewhere: for me, the power of org mode is that it is
Emacs.  Org allows me to leverage the power of Emacs more easily for
what I want to do (everything from project management to dissemination
of various sorts).

Anything that curtails what I can do in Emacs (with org mode) would have
significantly negative repercussions.

I understand the desire to see org mode's capabilities implemented
elsewhere but I think this misses the point: it's Emacs that people
actually want implemented elsewhere without realising it.

A small example: in teaching, I often use embedded Calc in my org
documents (primarily for export via beamer) for inline calculations
illustrating concepts.  This is *part* of my use of org mode and feels
like it's org mode but it's really Emacs that allows me to do this.

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50, Org release_9.4-61-ga88806.dirty